WilmerHale is a leading, full-service international law firm with 1,000 lawyers located throughout 12 offices in the United States, Europe and Asia. Our lawyers work at the intersection of government, technology, and business, and we remain committed to our guiding principles of providing quality, excellent legal and client services; developing diversity among our lawyers and staff and cultivating an environment that promotes an ambitious spirit, collaboration, and collegiality by drawing on the extraordinary talents and dynamic experience of our lawyers. Our goal is to reflect the diversity of our clients and the communities in which we practice.
What You Will Be Doing
Provides expert research and reference assistance in support of the various legal and administrative departments throughout the firm. Assists in regular outreach to the practice by providing training, consultative support, and informational updates in the areas of print and electronic research. Works with Director and Managers on IS Library and Research Services projects.
About This Role
- Works with the Manager, Research & Reference Services to design, deliver and evolve a robust, value-added research function to the Firm.
- Provides expert research and reference assistance to attorneys in all practice areas in a timely and effective manner using various print and electronic resources. Where applicable, provides in-depth analysis and summarization of results. Bills time to client/matters as appropriate.
- Provides consultative research and reference support advising lawyers on the optimal strategy and source selection to obtain most authoritative and cost-effective results. Bills time to client/matters as appropriate.
- Provides consultative research support advising lawyers on the optimal strategy and approach to research analysis.
- Provides expert reference assistance to support the functions of the various administrative departments of the firm including, but not limited to, Business Development and New Business/Conflicts.
- Assists in the development of new research and reference offerings and outreach, including but not limited to, bulletins, department and practice group presentations, and direct client services.
- Mentors and trains more junior staff to provide expert research and reference support.
- Provides reference desk coverage as assigned and follows internal procedures for the handling of requests as set by the Director and Research & Reference Services Manager.
- Maintains expert working knowledge of the library collections, online database resources, interlibrary loan availability, document delivery, and other resources as appropriate. Demonstrates an expert level of proficiency in primary database usage, search strategy and syntax, and licensing restrictions.
- Participates in resource evaluation projects including pilots of new services, comparisons of resources, and preparation of related evaluative memos.
- Assigned to focus on particular areas of the practice, administrative departments, subject or topic areas as required by the Research & Reference Services Manager, to meet the needs of the Firm.
- Works with Research & Reference Services Manager to assist in the preparation of and/or delivery of relevant orientation and training programs. Assist in the gathering of materials and drafting or editing of handouts to support the program.
- Works with Research & Reference Services Manager to support the development and maintenance of intranet reference collections. Assists with link checking, collection development, and integration of subject-specific resources into larger firm portal.
- Assists Technical Services Manager in developing both the paper and electronic resources collections. Aids Manager in the evaluation of new and existing research tools and makes recommendations for purchase, renewal, or resources.
- Works with Director, and Managers on departmental projects and initiatives as requested.
- Contributes to the firm's Service Excellence initiative to consistently improve its image internally and externally. Displays professionalism, quality service and a "can do" attitude to internal members/departments of the firm as well as external clients and vendors via electronic and print correspondence, over the telephone and in-person.
Your Qualifications/What You Will Bring
- Expert knowledge of print and digital legal and business resources and research techniques. Advanced knowledge of legal and business electronic resources and databases, and in research and retrieval strategies. Expertise in legislative, statutory and regulatory research, particularly in preparation of legislative and regulatory histories, highly desirable.
- Ability to work quickly, and with great attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- MLS, MLIS, J.D., or equivalent required.
- 5 years of reference and research experience required.
- Experience in a large law firm or comparable environment, preferred.
Upon joining the firm new hires will go through our onboarding program and be paired with a staff mentor to help them acclimate to the firm. Additionally, there will be opportunities for new employees to take advantage of training and development, public service, and diversity and inclusion programs.
WilmerHale is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, age, disability or veteran status, or other protected status.